Other Loan Options
Private Student Loan Lenders
Private Student Loans can help cover the difference between your total cost of education and other financial aid. Finding the right private student loan lender is a critical part in applying for a loan. That’s why we developed a simple and informative way to review private student loan lender options.
Our private student loan lenders list and comparison tool will help you review the various benefit programs and loan features of multiple lenders in one glance. Simply click on any logo to read more about that lender's products.
Review Private Loan Lenders
Sallie Mae® Smart Option Student Loan® for Degree-Granting Institutions
When grants, scholarships, and federal aid are not enough, choose the Smart Option Student Loan. You'll get the money you need for college, and the flexibility you want.
- Competitive variable interest rates - 2.25% APR to 9.37% APR1 (Competitive fixed interest rates also available.)
- No origination fees and no prepayment penalties
- Get a 0.25 percentage point interest rate reduction while enrolled to make scheduled monthly payments by automatic debit2
- Borrow up to 100% of your school-certified cost of attendance (minimum $1,000)3
- Applying with a creditworthy cosigner may help lower your interest rate and give you a better chance of approval
- Apply to release your cosigner once you graduate and make 12 consecutive on-time principal and interest payments4
- No origination fees
- Choice of fixed or variable interest rate
- Learn more »
SunTrust Custom Choice Loan®
Rising tuition, coupled with limited government aid, has created a widening gap between the cost of college and financial aid. The Custom Choice Loan® is a private student loan designed to fill the gap by borrowing the difference between school expenses and other financial aid such as federal loans, scholarships and grants.
- Grace period, generally six months1
- Choice of repayment term2
- Choice of fixed or variable rate
- Automatic Payment Discount of up to 0.50%3
- 0.25% interest rate reduction when you have your payments automatically deducted from a personal bank account
- Additional 0.25% interest rate reduction for auto debit of monthly payments from a SunTrust Bank deposit account
- 1% principal reduction upon graduation4
- Defer payments until after graduation5
- Cosigner release option available6
- Variable and fixed rate options available
- No application or origination fees
- Learn more »
PNC Solution Loan™ 1
We realize that covering all of your expenses can be a challenge, especially when government loans and financial aid just aren't enough. Apply for your PNC Solution Loan today so you can get the money you need to finance your education.
- Choose your interest rate option: variable or fixed rate
- Save 0.50% off your interest rate when you establish automated payments from any checking or savings account 2
- Enjoy flexible payment options: defer until you graduate or leave school, or start paying right away and save on interest 3
- Stress less about repaying your loan - take up to 15 years 4
- Stay focused on your education - we'll send funds directly to your school
- A co-signer release option is available after the initial 48 consecutive on-time monthly payments and is subject to credit approval
- Choice of fixed or variable interest rates
- Zero fees
- Learn more »
Discover® Student Loans
This private student loan is for undergraduate students in 4- or 5-year degree programs and can cover up to 100% of tuition, housing, books and more. Apply today!
- Choice of fixed or variable interest rates
- Zero fees
- No payments required while enrolled in school at least half-time
- 0.25% Auto Debit Reward (when you enroll in auto debit payments during repayment)
- 6-month grace period
- By adding a cosigner, you may improve your likelihood for loan approval and may lower your interest rate
- Apply online or by phone in a few minutes and get an immediate response
- Our knowledgeable, US-based Student Loan Specialists are ready to help you 24/7
- Tools and information at DiscoverStudentLoans.com to help students and parents through each step of the process — from exploring financial aid to repaying student loans
- Competitive interest rates
- No origination fees
- Learn more »
cuScholar Private Student Loan
Cover up to the full cost of your education with a cuScholar loan through a not-for-profit credit union in the cuStudentLoans program. Students can use the funds for any qualified education expense, including past-due tuition bills.
- Variable rates as low as 3-Month LIBOR + 2.99%
- No prepayment penalty
- No origination fee
- Borrow up to 100% of your Cost of Attendance
- 1% interest rate reduction once 10% of the loan principal is repaid during the full repayment period
- Cosigner release available for creditworthy borrowers after 24 on-time, consecutive payments
- 30-day no-fee return policy
- Fixed interest rates as low as 7.00%
- No origination fee
- Learn more »
WSFS Bank Private Student Loan
Need help paying for college expenses? WSFS Bank can help!
- Fixed interest rates ranging from 7.00% to 8.25%
- .25% interest rate reduction when you sign up for automated ACH payments
- Cosigner release available for creditworthy borrowers after 48 consecutive, on-time principal and interest payments during the Repayment Period
- Borrow as little as $2,000 or up to $30,000 per academic year for a maximum of $100,000 in undergraduate loans or $125,000 in graduate
1 Wells Fargo private student loans are subject to credit qualification, completion of a loan application/consumer credit agreement, verification of application information, and if applicable self-certification form, school certification of loan amount, and student's enrollment at a Wells Fargo-participating school.
2 Students are not required to make payments while in school; repayment begins six months after you graduate or leave school. The maximum in-school period is seven years after the date of the first disbursement. Interest continues to accrue during any deferment periods and is capitalized to the account upon entering repayment.
3 Interest Rate Discounts:
Discounts eligible at time of application: You may qualify for an interest rate discount if you or your cosigner has any of the following Wells Fargo products prior to your Final Loan Disclosure being issued:
- A Wells Fargo PMA® Package 0.50% discount
- A qualifying Wells Fargo Checking Package® 0.25% discount
- A prior federal or private student loan made by Wells Fargo 0.25% discount [prior Wachovia federal student loans are not eligible].
Only one qualifying relationship discount will apply. You will automatically receive the highest applicable discount. For variable interest rate loans, if the qualifying relationship ends, the interest rate may be reset to reflect the removal of the discount.
$700 loan cost saving assumes a $10,000 loan with 3.00% APR which includes an interest rate reduction of 0.50% with a 15-year repayment term. Variable interest rates subject to increase after consummation.
Stated APR includes an interest rate discount for having or opening a qualifying Wells Fargo Checking Package® account prior to the issuance of the Final Loan Disclosure and a 0.25% interest rate discount for the Customer Discount promotion, in effect for applications submitted from 04/16/13 through 06/30/13, this is an extra interest rate discount of 0.25%. The 0.25% Customer Discount limited time promotional interest rate discount may be combined with the Wells Fargo relationship discount but cannot be combined with partnership discounts or with any other promotional interest rate discount(s).
Discounts eligible during repayment: Interest rate discounts are effective once you qualify for the discount your monthly payment amount is adjusted at a later time. Discounts may be combined:
- Wells Fargo Student Graduation BenefitSM program 0.25% interest rate reduction to borrowers who graduate. The discount applies to loans disbursed on or after September 1, 2011. Discount is effective once proof of graduation or program completion is verified. Benefit not offered for the Wells Fargo Student Loan for Parents and the Wells Fargo Private ConsolidationSM Loan.
- Automatically withdrawn payment discount ("ACH") 0.25% interest rate reduction to borrowers who have their payments automatically withdrawn from a personal checking or savings account. This discount does not apply to automatic bill payments set up solely by you. If the automatic payment is canceled at any time after repayment begins, the discount will be lost until automatic payment is reinstated. The 0.25% interest rate reduction is effective the day after the first payment is made using automatic withdrawal during the repayment period. The automatic payment interest rate reduction is separate from the graduation interest rate reduction and available to both borrowers who graduate and those who do not. Discount does not apply during any deferment or forbearance period.
Wells Fargo reserves the right to modify or discontinue interest rate discount program(s) for future loans or to discontinue loan programs at any time without notice. For details, including eligibility requirements, visit us at wellsfargo.com/student or call 1-800-378-5526.
4 Interest rate reflected as of February 1, 2013. Variable rates are subject to increase after consummation.
5 Collegiate loan amount is dependent on the loan product, other financial aid, creditworthiness and other factors. Aggregate loan limits apply. Annual loan limits for temporary resident aliens apply and are based on product. The cost of attendance is determined and certified by the educational institution.
6 Wells Fargo Student Loan for Career and community Colleges loan amount maximum is $20,000 per year depending on the school of attendance and program of study.
Deposit products offered by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Member FDIC
1 PNC Solution Loans™ are subject to credit approval.
2 If automatic payment is discontinued, you will no longer receive an automatic payment discount. A federal regulation limits the number of transfers that may be made from a savings or money market account. Please contact your financial institution for more information on transfer limitations on savings accounts.
3 Students may choose to defer repayment until six months after graduation or ceasing to be enrolled at least half time in school. Interest-only and immediate repayment options are also available. Interest will accumulate while the student is enrolled in school if payments are deferred. If interest is not paid, the accumulated interest will be added to the principal at repayment.
4 Effective 4/1/2014, variable loan interest rates range from 3.46% to 10.41% and APRs range from 3.39% to 10.41%. Fixed loan interest rates range from 6.26% to 12.99%. The monthly payment for the immediate repayment option at a variable rate range of 3.46% to 10.41% for 180 months on a $10,000 loan means you would make 180 payments which may range from $71.29 to $109.98 based on 30 days to first payment due date. The monthly payment for the immediate repayment option at a fixed rate of 6.26% to 12.99% for 180 months on a $10,000 loan means you would make 180 payments which may range from $87.06 to $126.46 based on 30 days to first payment due date. Monthly payments may vary for the interest only and fully deferred repayment options. All figures are for PNC Solution Loan for Undergraduates. Other terms and conditions may apply to other PNC Solution Loan programs.
Please note: PNC reserves the right to modify or discontinue the terms of this program at any time without notice. Visit pnconcampus.com for additional information, terms and conditions about our loan programs.
© 2014 The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. All rights reserved. PNC Bank, National Association.
1 Grace period may be dependent upon repayment option selected and length of time enrolled in school.
2 The 15 year term is only available for loan amounts of $5,000 or more.
3 ACH discount(s) only apply when full payments (including both principal and interest) are automatically drafted from a bank account. Discount(s) will remain on the account unless (1) the automatic deduction of payments is stopped (including times during deferment or forbearance) or (2) there are three automatic deductions returned for insufficient funds within the life of the loan. The additional SunTrust ACH reward is available for loans first disbursed on or after 6/1/11.
4 Proof of graduation (certified copy of diploma) must be submitted within 90 days of graduation. 1% principal reduction is based on the fully disbursed loan amount. To receive the reward, no more than one late payment (payment received more than 10 days after the due date) is allowed.
5 Payments may be deferred while a student is enrolled at least half-time at an approved school and during the 6 month grace period after graduation or dropping below half-time status. Interest will continue to accrue while your payments are deferred, and it will be capitalized (added to your principal loan balance) when repayment begins.
6 Request for the cosigner to be released can be made after the first 48 consecutive, on-time payments (not later than ten days after the due date) of principal and interest have been made. The borrower must meet credit criteria on their own at the time of the request. The borrower must also be currently enrolled for automatic deduction of monthly payments from a bank account and must have had at least one payment automatically deducted at the time of request.
Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. SunTrust reserves the right to change or discontinue these programs without notice. All loan programs are subject to approval and may not be available in certain jurisdictions.
This information is for borrowers attending degree-granting institutions only. Credit criteria and eligibility requirements apply.
1 Interest rates for the Fixed and Deferred Repayment Options are higher than for loans with the Interest Repayment Option. Variable rates may increase after consummation. Interest is charged while you are in school and during the 6 month separation period. Any interest that remains unpaid when you enter full repayment will be added to your loan balance.
2 The rate reduction benefit applies only if the recurring payment is successfully deducted from the designated account and is suspended during forbearances and certain deferments. For multi-party loans, only one party may enroll in auto debit.
3 As certified by your school and confirmed by Sallie Mae, less other financial aid received. Sallie Mae reserves the right to approve a lower loan amount than what the school has certified. Requested amounts exceeding $99,999 may require multiple loans.
4 Only the borrower may apply for cosigner release. The borrower must provide proof of successful completion of school, be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, be current and have made 12 consecutive on-time payments of principal and interest immediately before applying, and pass a credit check including income verification when the release request is processed.
Information advertised valid as of April 1, 2014
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR DISCONTINUE PRODUCTS, SERVICES, AND BENEFITS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. CHECK SALLIEMAE.COM FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE PRODUCT INFORMATION.
The Sallie Mae logo, Sallie Mae, Sallie Mae Bank, Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan, and Smart Reward are service marks or registered service marks of Sallie Mae or its subsidiaries.
Upromise and Upromise logo are registered service marks of Upromise, Inc.
Smart Option Student Loans are made by Sallie Mae Bank® or a lender partner.
SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Sallie Mae Bank and Upromise Inc., are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
© 2014 Sallie Mae Bank. All rights reserved.
© 2014 Upromise, Inc. All rights reserved.
PrivateStudentLoans.com always recommends that students explore all of their financial aid options, from scholarships and grants to federal student loans, in addition to learning more about private student loans.
**Edvisors cannot guarantee financial aid and loan eligibility for site users. Please check with your school or your lender directly for information related to your personal eligibility. Not all lenders participate in the Edvisors site. Lenders that participate may not offer loan products to every school.
***Illinois residents, please click on this link.