Skip Navigation
After navigation

Could student loan refinancing save you money?

Filing a Student Loan Complaint

Image of Photo of Elaine Rubin
Current student loan refinance rates as low as 1.87% to 8.49%. Click here to find a preferred lender.

Having a problem with your student loan? It happens. If you’re having an issue with your lender or loan servicer and haven’t been able to resolve it, it may be time to seek assistance. As a last resort, you may even need to file a formal complaint. (If you’re not sure what situations warrant a complaint, see what other people have experienced on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Consumer Complaint Database.)

If you’re experiencing a problem with your federal student loan, file a complaint, and then if the response is not to your liking, because it is either incorrect or you, as the borrower, do not agree, then you should contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group or call them at 1.877.557.2575.

View My Student Loan Refinancing Options

For disputes involving private student loans, the first place you should turn to is your lender or loan servicer. If you’re still unable to resolve the issue, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Fill out and submit the online complaint form at Or you can call 855-411-CFPB.

Credit Bureau Contacts

Be sure to periodically (at least once per year) check with a credit bureau to make sure the information reported about your accounts is accurate and up to date. Each agency will summarize your consumer’s credit performance in a credit rating.